English at St Joseph’s
The intent of the St. Joseph’s English curriculum is to ensure that all children are well prepared for the next stage of their education and for future post-18. We aim to provide an ambitious and engaging English curriculum along with high quality teaching to produce individuals who are confident speakers, careful listeners, competent readers and imaginative writers. It is our intent to provide a stimulating environment and adequate resources so that pupils can develop their English skills to the full.
The intent for all staff at St. Joseph’s is for all of our children to be successful in English because they:
- meet the requirements of the National Curriculum and EYFS Development Matters document.
- communicate effectively in speech so they can talk appropriately with confidence to different audiences.
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- develop reading skills so that they become proficient, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and responsive readers to a variety of texts.
- develop a love of literature that will last a life time and impact upon their writing capabilities
- Writing Progression Document
- Guided Reading Long Term Overview Texts And Domains
- St Joseph’s Reading Curriculum Intent
- Writing Long Term Overview